For creative, small business owners, makers and artists who want to create beautiful images which tell the story of their products and brand
Product Styling & Photography e-coursewith Roberta Ashley and Karen Barlow
As creative small business owners, we know just how important it is to have gorgeous images that bring your products to life for your potential customers or clients, especially in today's evermore visual world.
We also know how tough it can be to have the budget to pay for professional imagery, particularly when you're just starting out and every penny counts.
That's why we've brought together our collective, thirty plus years of experience to develop a cost-effective programme to help you develop the skills, knowledge and most importantly, confidence to create the kind of images that you want for your brand.
A self study e-course with support throughout
We've designed our e-course to allow you to study at your own pace, around your business and your life. There's no need to complete anything by a certain day; just the space to learn at your own pace.
You won't be on your own though, unless you prefer to be of course, which is totally fine if so!
When you enrol on the programme, you'll be invited to become a lifetime member of our private Facebook group. Here, if you choose to join us, you'll be supported throughout by Roberta and Karen and a fantastic community of students.
This is a place for you to ask questions, get advice and feedback on your progress. We'll also share tips and inspiration in there to help you along on your journey on our programme.
You will learn...
* What your brand stands for and how you want to visually show that to the world
* How to use natural light and proven compositional techniques to create scroll stopping photos
* How to confidently and creatively use your camera to capture the kinds of photos you love on social media
* How to take beautiful images of your products on your phone
* A range of tried and tested product styling and storytelling techniques
* How to plan and carry out product photoshoots in your own home or studio
* How to edit your photos and get them ready for social media or your website
Imagine being able to create consistently scroll stopping images for your brand
You will get
5 modules with 60+ lessons and exercises
which cover from building your unique brand identity through to doing your own photo shoots & image editing
Easy to use workbooks you'll keep for life
200+ pages of learning content and tasks for you to complete to put what you’ve learnt into practice straight away
Something for you no matter how you learn
from reading material with supporting imagery, through to ‘how to’ guides, checklists and short demo videos
Support throughout and beyond
in our private Facebook group where you'll feedback, answers to your questions, tips, advice and inspiration
WHO IS IT FOR?
CREATIVE BUSINESS OWNERS, ARTISTS & MAKERS
who don’t have the budget to hire stylists and photographers but who want to produce their own high quality images
IF YOU'RE STARTING OUT OR WANT A REFRESH
the course will help you bring your business to life visually if you're just getting started or give you some fresh inspo if you're in need of it
THOSE WHO PREFER TO USE DIGITAL CAMERA
who are either complete beginners or who would like to learn how to use their camera more creatively
THOSE WHO PREFER TO USE PHONE CAMERA
who either don't have the budget or the desire to use a digital camera and who want to take beautiful images on their phone
THOSE WHO ENJOY SELF STUDY AND WORKING AT THEIR OWN PACE
who want to learn in their own time and at their own pace but who want support when they need it
ENTREPRENEURS WHO ARE THINKING ABOUT STARTING THEIR OWN THING
but who don't know where to start in terms of branding and look and feel
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The course fee is £135. This gives you lifetime access to all the course materials and our private Facebook group.
WHAT'S IN THE COURSE
MODULE 1 - CREATING AN INSTANTLY RECOGNISABLE BRAND
* Here we look at the foundations of a brand and what this means for you and your business. We explore values, your typical customer and colour psychology to help you design the look and feel that will work for you and your audience. By the end of this module, you will have your very own brand board which will be your guiding light for the rest of the programme.
MODULE 2 - THE FOUNDATIONS OF GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY
* In this module, we explore what makes a great photo and we don't mean how to use the best features on your camera. We mean the stuff that really separates an average from an instantly compelling image; light and composition. We look at how to find the best natural light for the kind of photos you want to take for your brand, how to work with it once you've found it and how to compose images to give the maximum visual impact.
MODULE 3 - DEVELOPING YOUR CAMERA SKILLS
* This module splits into two workbooks - one for phone camera users and one for those with a digital camera. For phone camera users we explore the features of most modern phone cameras and how to use them to make the most of the available natural light, to create those dreamy product images with lovely blurred backgrounds and how to put yourself in the image with some basic equipment. For digital camera users, once we have covered the basics of set up and working with digital cameras, we explore working with aperture, ISO and shutter speed to unleash your creativity and have maximum control over your camera.
MODULE 4 - THE PRODUCT SHOOT
* In this module, we start by exploring the kinds of images you will need to take for your business and the role each of them play for your customers. We look at storytelling and how to use composition and props to tell the story of your brand and products. We give you heaps of styling advice and teach you lots of tried and tested professional techniques. We then help you to bring this all together to plan a shoot in your own home or workspace.
MODULE 5 - THE EDIT
* This final module splits out again into two workbooks - one for those who are editing their images using phone apps and the other for those who are using Adobe Lightroom. In both cases, we teach you how to edit your images to give make them really sing and get them ready to use on your social media and website.
A bit about us
What our students Say...
I have been following Roberta's and Karen's work for a while and felt inspired about their style, the composition of their pictures and how their images talks by themselves. The e-course has been amazing, I loved every single module. I definitely learned a lot, and has helped me to define my brand style, creating a consistent visual identity. Thank you Roberta and Karen for sharing your knowledge and expertise. You are the dream team.
The course really got me thinking about my brand, context and marketing. It was so helpful with how to use my camera, edit the photos and really think about the story I am telling. I absolutely loved the course and it inspired me inside and out of my business.
I finished this amazing course a few weeks back and found it so helpful to improve my use of light, using different times of the day, observing the light more effectively, as well as a deeper understanding of the f-stop (aperture) on my IPhone (11 PRO)...and styling and composition. It was timely as I was shooting vintage items for a collaboration sale on Instagram with another seller. We sold 80% of all items in 9 minutes. And now 90% are sold. I can’t thank you enough for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I buy the course?
When enrolment is open, there will be a section at the top of this page where you can add the course to your shopping basket. Once you have done this, go to your basket and proceed to checkout to pay for the course.
How do I get the course materials once I have paid?
Once your payment has been confirmed, you'll be taken to a download page where you'll be able to download the course material onto your computer. You will need to do this as soon as you can as your access to the download page will expire after a week.
How do I join the Facebook group?
You will be sent an email once you have enrolled onto the programme with information about how to join this group.
Who is the course aimed at?
Creative small business owners, makers and artists who want to learn how to take professional looking photos of their products and brand for their website and social media platforms. You may be right at the start of your journey or quite established but in need of some inspiration and support with your styling and photography.
Do I need to have a DSLR or professional camera?
We've designed the course for those who have a 'proper' camera, be that a compact camera, DSLR or mirrorless camera, and for those who just want to use their mobile phone. The photography modules have separate workbooks for those who want to learn how to use a camera and those who want to use their phone. You will receive both when you buy the course and you can decide which is most appropriate for you.
Is this for beginner photographers only?
No. The course does go through the basics of how to use a camera and phone camera but there is plenty in here that should be a good refresh or new inspiration for those who are more familiar with their cameras.
What other equipment do I need?
A tripod would be useful if you have one but no need to rush out and buy one. You will also need some props to practice styling with but these can just be items from your own home or workspace. Most of the props that we use are cheap or free and we will share our props list with you so there is no need to buy any additional equipment at this stage.
Do you cover working with artificial light?
No. This course exclusively looks at working with natural light. We do not cover using artificial lighting.
How much time do I need to invest to complete this course?
This is a self paced study course so you can take as much time as you need to complete it. The modules are designed to follow on from each other sequentially and if you were to do them back to back, giving yourself say a fortnight for each module, then you would probably need to set aside 2 or 3 hours a week to really get the most from this course. But, there are no deadlines and no requirements to do anything by a certain date.
Do I need to have any previous styling experience?
No. We've designed this course for those who are completely new to styling or those who have been styling their own products for a while but feel they need to learn some tried and tested techniques to improve their imagery.
What do you mean by product photography?
We mean any imagery which relates to your products or business so this could range from a simple shot of one item through to a styled, 'lifestyle' scene which shows your potential customers how they would use or live with your products in their home or lives.
Is it only for product photography?
This course does focus on styling products, whether they be typical product collections or hand crafted/created pieces, but the techniques taught could be applied to other forms of photography and styling.
Do I need to join the Facebook group?
No. You will have everything you need in the course materials and the group is there if you wish to get support from us and your fellow students.
Would you like to enrol but have some questions that we haven't answered? Contact us!
Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions about our course that we haven't answered here. We will be happy to do that for you.
Powered by AZEXO Shopify page builder